You’ve suffered a loss. You believe your doctor or a hospital may be responsible for that loss. What should you do? Do you have a medical malpractice case? The best way to learn about your individual case is to work with a Jacksonville injury lawyer. Every case is different. It is essential to know what options you have for obtaining compensation for your losses.
How Common Are Medical Malpractice Cases?
When you work with your Jacksonville personal injury lawyer, he or she will discuss what medical malpractice is and how it works. You may be shocked to learn how often it happens. To pinpoint just how high risk it is to go to the doctor, consider these statistics:
- Each year, 98,000 people die every year in a hospital due to medical errors, according to the National Academy of Sciences.
- Just one percent – often times less than one percent – of doctors ever face any type of sanctions for these mistakes.
- If just one percent of those doctors were to face medical malpractice sanctions, that means every year 8,000 doctors in the country would face some action.
But, are medical errors really that common? They can be. Mistakes such as overprescribing medications, failing to diagnose a condition, surgical procedures on the wrong site, and birth injuries are common medical malpractice attorney jacksonville fl. And, that is downright worrisome.
Why Don’t Doctors Face Sanctions?
Your Jacksonville injury lawyer will work to gather information about your case to determine what happened and why. Legally, there are several things that must be proved in order to obtain compensation for a loss.
In short, they must prove every one of the following:
- You must show a physician and patient relationship occurred in order to file a medical malpractice claim. You hired the doctor, and the doctor agreed to work with you. You cannot sue someone for providing insight in conversation, for example.
- Was the doctor actually negligent? To sue, you must show the doctor caused harm to you that any other competent doctor under the same circumstances would not have allowed to occur.
- Did the doctor take steps to directly cause your loss? Your Jacksonville personal injury lawyer will then help you prove the doctor’s actions or inactions caused the injury you suffered.
- What specific financial loss did you suffer? Your Jacksonville injury lawyer will determine what type of losses you suffered from the doctor’s negligence.
To Fight Back Against Negligence, Hire a Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyer
Providing each of these components to a medical malpractice cause is challenging. With the help of a Jacksonville injury lawyer, you gain more insight and support in filing your claim. In nearly every situation, your claims will be going up against powerful insurance companies and their attorneys. You do not want to limit your ability to obtain compensation because of a lack of information or the ability to gather evidence.
Secure Your Compensation with a Jacksonville Injury Lawyer
Meeting with an attorney can provide you with the information you need. You will learn if you have a case and what it will take to prove your case. Even if you are able to file a settlement right now, having an attorney on your side may raise the financial compensation you obtain simply because of the better insight you’ll have into your options.